The Industrial and Vocational Training Board is a parastatal organisation operating presently under the aegis of the Ministry of Training, Skills Development, Employment and Productivity.
It was set up in April 1988 under the Industrial and Vocational Training Act (1988) with the following objectives:
• to advise the Minister responsible for Training on matters related to training;
• to monitor the needs for training in consultation with relevant authorities;
• to administer and operate training schemes;
• to provide for, promote, and assist in the training or apprenticeship of persons who are or will be employed in commercial, technical and vocational fields. The IVTB became operational in 1989 and was entrusted with the following responsibilities:
• to plan, monitor and evaluate training programmes;
• to design and develop training curricula;
• to implement training schemes and training programmes;
• to finance the training of school leavers and employees through a levy/grant system.
The Industrial and Vocational Training Board is governed by a Council which decides on all policy matters pertaining to training.