Aims and ObjectivesThe Ministry of Energy and Public Utilities has overall jurisdiction over the water sanitation and energy sectors, and the Central Water Authority and Wastewater Management Authority have been conferred statutory responsibilities to provide water, energy and sanitation services to the population. Moreover, the Ministry is also the focal point in respect of radiation protection.
- To formulate policies to ensure that these services are delivered to the population in a cost effective manner and at affordable prices;
- To ensure that the agencies providing these services operate within the gambit of policies approved by Government taking into consideration the financial sustainability and affordability criteria;
- To formulate policies to promote the use of renewable energy;
- To mobilize water resources to meet the demand of all sectors of the population and ensure judicious use of water resources;
- To ensure the peaceful and safe application of ionizing radiation.