The Central Electricity Board (CEB) is a parastatal body wholly owned by the Government of Mauritius and reporting to the Ministry of Energy and Public Utilities. Established in 1952 and empowered by Central Electricity Board Act of January 1964, the CEB's business is to "prepare and carry out development schemes with the general object of promoting, coordinating and improving the generation, transmission, distribution and sale of electricity in Mauritius".
In 2016, the CEB produced some 1,174 GWh of energy, equivalent to around 43% of the total generation, from its 4 thermal power stations and 10 hydroelectric plants. The remaining 57% (1,565 GWh) of energy was purchased from Independent Power Producers.
To become a world-class commercial electricity utility enabling the social and economic development of the region.
To meet the expectations of customers and stakeholders by:
- Delivering prompt and efficient customer services;
- Developing our employees and providing them with incentives;
- Providing an affordable, safe, and reliable electricity supply;
- Undertaking our business in an environmentally responsible manner;
- Being the preferred employer in the region
- To increase financial soundness and efficiency
- To build an integrated planning capability
- To make CEB the most desirable employer in Mauritius
- To implement enabling Information Systems
- To meet international standards for the supply of electricity and customer services